Monday, August 2, 2010

Too mean?

Saturday night...

Standing around with some friends someone commented on my nails and how evil they looked because they are so long. "They look like witch nails." He said simply. "They do not!" I said in defense "They're music notes, what's evil and witch like about that?" "I bet they're music notes to an evil secular song to." He said ignoring my protests. "Well, your just... mean. That's what you are, mean." I repeated affirmatively. "I'm mean?!" He gasped, "This coming from you?" "I can hardly believe she said it either" another friend cut in. "Surely you of all people, who is so mean to everyone, can't possibly think that I am mean." He argued. This was a little upsetting, I'm not that mean of a person or so I thought. Everyone knows I'm just joking, right? They went on all night about how evil I was. By the end of the night I was more than a little annoyed. I jokingly call people a jerk, or a meany, and stuff of the sort, but only when I know they are joking. I told a story of one of these "jokes"at one time(just the other night in fact). "How do you even have friends?!" She exclaimed in wonder. "He knew I was just joking, I even told him so." I reasoned. "Are you sure?" "Yeah" *I think... :/* Maybe they aren't my friends, maybe its more the answer of tolerating me and putting up with me all day rather than hanging out... I don't know but that's not how I want it. I just don't want to pretend to be something I'm not either. Whats the point in having everyone love you if its not you they're loving... I'd rather have everyone hate my guts, than love me for being someone I'm not.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure you should take anything the first person said to heart. :) (I was standing there.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure that was one of my brothers. They have never liked, or understood, really long nails.

    You are kind of like Josh in some ways; he says mean things to people all the time, but really he loves them.

    ReplyDelete